Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Backpacking....Italian Style

I have a confession. I'm an over-packer. Not just an over-packer, but a procrastinating over-packer. There you have it. When I pack for a trip, it's usually last minute, and I'm usually spending the last moments before a trip grabbing any and everything I MIGHT (or might not) need for my adventure. Do you do that? Or am I the only one?


So, the thought of packing everything I needed for an international cross-country trip was totally FOREIGN to me!

However, when we (my 2 friends Brittany and I) began to think about out traveling to multiple cities, on and off of planes, trains and automobiles, the idea of "backpacking" intrigued us. We were not completely sold on the idea until our husbands told us we couldn't do it. The doubted us......so, we accepted the challenge! You hear me?


The closer the trip got, the idea of packing ALL THE THINGS in a backpack became tremendously more difficult! But, I'm here to say that we did it, and we survived! AND, I actually had room to spare!!!!


So, how did I do it?



First things first, I researched backpacks. I found an amazing one in the eBags TLS Mother Lode Weekender Convertible. It has so many perfect pockets and details that I would've never thought of! (Side note: the little video on the product page really sold me on it).

Another item that was helpful was this set of packing cubes! Initially, I really didn't understand the need for these, but was thankful for them, and will definitely use them in future packing endeavors. So, with these, I rolled my clothing and sorted by style, and by traveler (mine or my hubby). It made it a lot easier to pack, rather than just putting items directly into my backpack.


One of the perks of "backpacking" is not having to check you luggage, and wait for baggage claim! That's HUGE! The downside of that is that everything has to be carry-on friendly. Liquids bag....the dreaded quart-sized bag, limited to 3.4oz per item, stared us in the face just as David did Goliath. Ya'll, it seemed nearly impossible. But, as any warrior faces a challenge, we set our eyes on the end goal, and overcame it. This challenge gave me the excuse to buy those super cute trial size goodies that you always want to buy on the toiletry aisle. And, that I did.....as well as putting a couple of my toiletry products in these little dishes (I actually had extras on-hand, because I use them to sort my earrings in my jewelry armoire). 

Oh, and clothes......I know the question is: WHAT clothes did you bring?? 

I brought:
4 pair of pants: white skinny jeans, black skinny jeans, tailored jeans, and black leggings
5 shirts: 2 white shirts, black shirt, chambray shirt and a striped shirt
2 tanks: black and white
2 scarves
3 jackets: black bomber, white long coat, white packable rain jacket 
2 shoes: Black Native Audreys and Tan GB low boots 
2 necklaces and 3 pair of earrings 

Along with the packing cubes, I also used these space saving bags for my jackets and then also for dirty clothes (until we washed at our next stop). 

I'll end with a few of my favorite items I brought along with me: 



So, what packing questions do you have for me? I'm an open book (or backpack)....if I don't have the answer, I'll do my best to find one or give you my best advice! 

Oh, and there is plenty more to come about our trip.....this is only the beginning!

Ciao!






No comments:

Post a Comment